Company history

KUHN firmengeschichte Hoepfingen

KUHN company was established in 1926 by Franz Kuhn, a plumber.

“Kuhne-Spengler”

Only a few days before Deutsche Lufthansa was founded in January 1926, Franz Xaver Kuhn opened a plumbing business in his home village of Höpfingen. This was not so much the result of keen business foresight, but was inspired more by his concern for his existence due to the general economic situation. Already in its first year the one-man operation began producing municipal drinking water supply plants in addition to the usual work of his skilled trade. For example, Franz Kuhn took part in the laying of the drinking water supply lines in Schweinberg and Höpfingen.

New company site and product innovations

When his sons, Josef, Günther and Norbert gradually entered and took over the business in the 1950s and 1960s, the very small undertaking had already become a small company able to provide several workers with a regular income. The KUHN company worked mostly on the construction of machinery for drinking water supply plants and the electrical engineering related to such plants.

Today it is possible to look back on the year 1969 as an outstanding milestone because for the first time parts for wastewater treatment were manufactured and the company relocated to its new site at Franz-Kuhn-Str. 1 - 3 (formerly: Am Mantelsgraben 26).

Internationalization and professionalization

Since then it is true that a few hurdles have had to be overcome, but the successful business generally grew at a steady pace. The size of the workforce increased as did the range of products and geographical reach. In addition to installations throughout southern Germany, the first international deliveries were carried out. Nonetheless: when the sons of Josef and Günther Kuhn, Michael and Jürgen Kuhn, took over the business from their fathers at the end of 1997 they had no way of knowing how successful KUHN GmbH would be. By the time machines began to be manufactured for the mechanical treatment stage of wastewater treatment plants, KUHN had become a company operating on an international scale with an outstanding reputation in its field while still one of the few autonomous family-run companies. In over 90 years of its history, KUHN GmbH in Höpfingen has developed from the humblest origins to be a widely respected company with a focus that has always been and continues to be on customer satisfaction - whether customers are international or based in the region.

Company timeline

1926

 

Founded on January 1st by Franz Xaver Kuhn

1953

 

The company's first motor vehicle is purchased

1961

 

Product range is extended to include pipeline construction

1963

 

Foundation of Franz Kuhn oHG

1969

 

Relocation to the newly built production plant; first wastewater plant installations

1978

 

First Archimedean screw pump produced by the company goes into operation

1979

 

KUHN GmbH founded; new production plant increases manufacturing capacity

1986

 

Further expansion of production capacity

1997

 

All shares in the company acquired by Jürgen und Michael Kuhn

2001

 

Special events celebrate company's 75th anniversary

2002

 

Own production of mechanical wastewater treatment machinery

2004

 

Factory space doubled through the purchase of adjacent proberty

2009

 

Expansion of office space

2013

 

Operation of the first Hydrodynamic screw and expansion of production capacity

2013

 

Innovation prize of the Rhine-Neckar metro region and second place in Enviromentel Technology Award Baden Württemberg

2016

 

Celebration of 90th anniversary with an open house day

2017

 

Further expansion of office an production areas

kuhn firmengeschichte altes firmenareal

German Water Partnership

We are member

KUHN ist Mitglied der Deutschen Vereinigung für Wasserwirtschaft, Abwasser und Abfall (DWA)